March 14, 2011

yesterday: part 1 of 2

Yesterday was a good day. So good that it deserves a two part post. Just so you know.

So the very first Sunday we attended our married ward, we waltzed into Sunday School and the first thing I noticed was that a couple was team teaching the lesson.
From that moment on I just knew that Kolton and I were going to have that job.
Call it revelation or what you will- but sure enough, we spent last week preparing our own Sunday School lesson.

And I was nervous as all get-out.

But we talked about it and prepared and shared together so I felt like it was going to be okay.So we show up to church and when Sunday School rolls around we're busy getting the room ready and everyone is filing in.
So we start the lesson, Kolton was in charge of giving the first part, but I introduced us.
"Hey, we're the Hansen's. we've been married since December. We're from Monteview. And we live in apartment #1702."
Not quite sure where that last bit came from, but it was the only thing I could think of! Kolton snickered a little bit beside me, so I wrapped up the rest of the intro real quick.
So Kolton starts the lesson, and I sit reverently and quietly behind him.
Pretty soon I realize that the room is getting a titch warm. So my palms start getting sweaty-or should I say sweaty-er than they already were-and before long the front of my skirt is about soaked from my palms attempting to dry themselves.

Then it's my turn.
I get up there and pretty soon my knees and toes are fidgety and my hands are shaky, but I tried to keep my voice intact, and avoided picking up the manual for fear that it would be fluttering uncontrollably.

And it gets worse.

By then, the room is nearing sauna-like temperatures, and the faucets turn on.
I'm referring, of course, to the faucets located underneath my arms.
I'm so nervous that I don't dare ask someone to crack a window, so I continue talking as if nothing out of the ordinary is occuring in my body.

While, in fact, very un-ordinary things are occuring in my body. I was just telling Kolton the other day how i never sweat. I had to gobble up those words.

so I glue my arms to the sides and thank the heavens and all my guardian angels that I wore a dark, patterned blouse to church that day. (a blouse that is soon going to be shipped to the dry cleaners). I'm also semi-grateful that I chose to wear nylons, because even though they are horribly uncomfortable and sticky, at least I don't have sweat running down my legs (which is a very uncomfortable feeling, as anyone else that has ever experienced that will tell you)

But amid all these troubles, I somehow was able to muddle through the rest of the lesson. After it was over, I collapsed in my chair to give my shaky legs a break.
Then I scurried to the ladies room to assess the damage.
It wasn't noticeably too terribly bad. But I was pretty excited to get home. Especially to remove the hot, sticky nylons.

Ive got two weeks to recover before I have to do that again.
Oh dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers