February 14, 2011

back when we were your age...

Yesterday we paid a visit to good ole Monteview. (I sure love that place). We went to church and then had dinner with my family (a GOOD Sunday dinner) and were going to celebrate Little Ty's birthday later that afternoon.
So while we were coming out of our Sunday-dinner-stuff-yourself coma (wait-you thought that only happened on Thanksgiving? Not around our house. Thanksgiving dinner isn't actually that exciting because it's pretty remniscient of the Sunday masterpiece dinner my mom makes every week-I digress.)
ANYWAY-back to the day of rest.
My mom has been converting some of our old home videos made with those huge, chunky, video machines to small, fancy, tech-saavy dvds.
So we popped in a few and it didn't take long till we had tears streaming down our faces because we were laughing so hard.
First, we watched a video of my parents on their wedding day. Outside the temple, taking pictures with the family, at the reception, and (my favorite) their "interview".
The guy making the video pulled my parents and their parents into a room to ask them all sorts of questions.
We were laughing at my mom's giggly almost ditzy-like giddiness (I now know where I got that from) and my dad's younger voice, studly-attitude, and perma-grin.
But the funniest thing was the mannerisms! Holy cow, twenty years does not change a THING!
The way my dad told the story of how they met was EXACTLY how he tells stories now. He goes back and forth and forgets parts and adds them in later-I love nothing more than listening to him tell stories.
The way my grandpa hunched over while he talked and folded and unfolded his fingers while he was giving his piece. Even just the things that he would say, just funny little sayings/stories that I have no idea where he comes up with.
For example-the Sunday before we got married, my grandpa walked up to Kolton and I at church and said to us, "You know what the monkey said when he got his tail caught in the lawn mower?"
Of course we didn't.
"It won't be long now..."
So cheesy, but so my grandpa and so funny.

After the wedding video we popped in some of the videos of us when we were little. Oh my, we were the strangest children. I don't even know how my mom dealt with us all day.
In one of the videos my mom had us each sing a song, tell about ourselves (what grade, teacher's name, how old we were) and then we each got to do a trick.
We each tried to do a cartwheel or a somersault.
"Tried" being the key word in that sentence. Not a lot of coordination around our house.

After we finished that hilarity and my makeup was all smeared on my face because I had been laughing so hard, we headed over the Kolton's house.
After a little digging, we finally found a video of he and his brother freestyle wrestling in '96.
It was amazing to me how many moves they knew when they were still just little guys.
But we got a kick out of watching them do the "Russian roll-over" freestyle move. Lots of points scored with that one.
And the way that the singlets were falling off half of the kids. Kolton's mom had sewn the shoulders of his brother's singlet  till it had little tabs on the top so it would fit him decent.
The Hansen's actually got more of a kick out of it than I did. I still don't fully understand high school wrestling, let alone freestyle so some of the things that they were laughing at I was intently staring at the screen to figure out what exactly was so funny.
Must be a wrestling thing.
I'm sure I'll find all of that kind of stuff out one day when our children become wrestlers.
Kolton informed me last night that he started wrestling when he was four years old. (four!) and that he intends for our future children to do the same.
Ohhh....heaven help me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers