March 14, 2014

Fluoride

Fluoride was the very worst part of elementary school. Followed by peas at the lunchroom. And basically any food at the lunchroom. 
My mom always made me do it and when they would bring the little packages if fluoride to the room my throat would close up and I would start to feel my gag impulse kick in. 

Guess what? 
Not much changes when you are the teacher. 
When the girl brought in the fluoride I felt my throat close up and was holding back a gag. The kids were right there with me. Except for I just want to pause and comment on how many of my students parents checked the box next to  "no, my child does not have to do fluoride ". This is sickening to me.  You are supposed to make your kid do fluoride to torture them. And also because its a rite of passage in elementary school. And also because it builds character. And also because I absolutely loathed any kid that sat there smiling while me and the rest of the class were swishing away. Don't the parents of today understand these concepts?! 

Anyway. 
So the class was moaning and groaning and altogether having a major panic attack when I told them it was time for fluoride. To show them that it was not that bad I told them I would do it with them. 
Bad idea. 
About 30 seconds in I was gagging and didn't know how I was going to last 30 MORE seconds. But we all did it. And the sickest part of all...I'm shuddering even writing this....was having everyone spit their fluoride back into their cups and then gathering them up in a little Baggie. I started this job and then decided I would give it to one of my super helpful students after I was uncontrollably shuddering    And just altogether  grossed out. 

We had a repeat of the same incident in the afternoon and yes, I did it again. Just nominate me for teacher of the year already! But this time one kid started giggling and ended up swallowing probably half of the fluoride. I had to just close my eyes and not think or I would have had fluoride coming out of my nose too. 
The best part was I told the kids they weren't allowed to complain to me because I had done it twice that day. 
Can't wait for next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers