May 27, 2013

Gardening

So we have this HUGE garden plot in the middle of our yard. 
The first summer we lived here (2011) we decided to be awesome and plant a garden. Our main focus was corn. I even teamed up with my mom and told her that we would plant a ton of corn so we could share. 
I spent most of that summer weeding and watering and loving seeing my plants grow. While most of the other plants didn't do so hot we had quite the little corn crop and I was so excited. 
The heads were just about ready and the corn about a week or less away from picking when I went outside one morning to discover that my corn crop had been completely massacred. 
Most of the stalks were on the ground and there was not a single head of corn in sight. 
Those raccoons left not one single survivor.
I was SO angry! 

Last year, we didn't get thinking about a garden until it was too late and didn't ever get it done. In between school every day and everything else we had going on we still managed to grow quite the weed patch in our garden plot. It was embarrassing and I felt bad about it all year long. 

THIS year we are going to try again. 
Kolton kindly rototilled (?) the garden one night and then came home from work and helped plant it. It was kind of windy nasty outside but we still had a nice time. 

We planted peas, lots of corn, red potatoes, onions, carrots, zucchini, green peppers, jalapenos, tomatoes and I think that's it. 
I don't know that anything will grow, but it is in the ground!
I even took it easy on Kolton and didn't tease him too much when he pulled out the tape measure. 
I was just happy he was out there helping and didn't want to do anything that would discourage him. 
 I was a little excited.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers