March 1, 2012

this is not a story about bad parenting

Even though it may seem like it.
This is a story about one of my favorite childhood memories.

The story begins with last weekend. We went to Ethan's state wrestling tournament in Pocatello. (still working on the wrestling fan thing).

Now we need some background....

Two years ago
 Kolton gave me, for my birthday, a homemade gift certificate that stated he would take me to my favorite restaurant, Mama Inez, anytime I wanted. 

Ten years ago
 The restaurant Mama Inez closed in Idaho Falls. The only available location was in Pocatello.

Thirteen years ago
I decided Mama Inez was my favorite restaurant. My family would go there ALL the time. It was in the older part of town and a little shady-ish, but nine year olds don't think about that kind of stuff. All I could think about was the squeaky front door, the slight smell of smokers in the air (this was a result of the tables around the outside perimeter of the inside  of the restaurant being the "smoker friendly" tables...we never sat there.) Where we did sit was always in the middle of the room, always at the same table. We didn't even need to look at the menu because we knew exactly what we wanted.
We got the same thing every time we went there.
My dad would order the crab and shrimp monterrey, and my mom and the kids (Tylee, Brody, and I) would share a crab and shrimp nacho.
Every time.
The whole family would share one large plate of steaming, saucy, cheesy, crab and shrimp nachos.

Twelve years ago
My parents were invited to a wedding. It was an outdoor wedding and they didn't want three pesky kids running around wreaking havoc. My sister Addi had just been born, was deemed not too pesky for the wedding, and was allowed to go with my parents.
My parents didn't know what to do with the three of us, and then they stumbled upon a brilliant idea.
Sure enough, they drove to the old part of town and dropped us three off at good ole Mama Inez. (I'm pretty sure I was no older than nine) they handed us some cash, told us to order the usual, and said they'd see us in about three weeks (they wish!)
So that's what we did.
Tylee, Brody, and I waltzed ourselves into the restaurant not thinking anything of it (except the three weeks thing. we didn't know for sure what to think about that) We sat at our usual table and waited for the waitress to come around.
Being the oldest, I put in our order (one large plate of crab and shrimp nachos) and the waitress only gave me a bit of a funny look. After she walked away, we decided that we would pretend we were three rich orphans so we faked a snooty accent as we worked our way through those nachos. (the only regret we had is that I forgot to say "hold the onions", otherwise, they were delicious as usual)
After we finished up our meal, we paid and then walked out the door. We walked down to the movie theatre that was probably about three blocks away, bought our tickets and enjoyed the movie while we waited for our parents to come get us.


Present day
Every time I think of that little outing I get this grin on my face. It's so funny because we didn't think anything of it! We were at Mama Inez so we didn't have a care in the world! Oh it just cracks me up.
Every time.

So last week at the wrestling match, I remembered the coupon, and the restaurant, and most especially, the crab and shrimp nachos so I informed Kolton that if I had to sit at a wrestling match all day I wouldn't make a peep if he would just take me to Mama Inez. It took a little convincing, but he finally agreed.

After the wrestling match was over, we were ready to head out. Kolton's family decided to eat with us, and I got a little embarrassed. Mama Inez isn't real fancy-kinda trashy (my 20 year old self can see that now) but they insisted, so we all got to experience a little piece of my childhood.

I don't think they enjoyed that piece of my childhood half as much as I did...but they can't say I didn't warn them! :)


We sat down to order and I got a big ole grin on my face as I told the waitress I wanted the crab and shrimp nachos.
The grin only got bigger once she set that gigantic, steaming, saucy, cheesy plate of seafoodness and tortilla chips in front of me.
I was in heaven.

As I was raving about it the whole way home, Kolton had to mention that maybe iIonly like that place because of my memories associated with it. (he thinks he's a psychologist)
He might be right.
But it doesn't make any difference.
I'm counting down the days till we can make it down to Pocatello again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers