February 17, 2013

Summer of Love II

The following post contains a comprehensive list of all the times Kolton tried to break up with me during our Summer of Love-2010
 
1. Kolton and I attended the singles ward together when we weren't attending family functions or missionary farewells. He was a good little buddy to have on my arm through all of that. After a few weeks of attending that ward, the bishop came up to us after sacrament meeting and asked if we would be interested in attending the marriage prep/temple prep class together. We both looked at him in shock and then silently nodded our heads. This put us in a bit of a tailspin. Neither of us really knew what to think about this and therefore did not really discuss it until a few days later. I had attended one of Brevan's baseball games so Kolton picked me up at the school to go on a little date. At the end of the date we were again at the school as he was dropping me off at my car. Right there in the school parking lot we had ourselves a little chat. We started off by talking about the bishop's invitation and how we felt about that. I felt like the conversation was heading in a very nice direction. We started talking about the possibilities and the "what ifs" of getting married. We talked about possible dates and options and then the conversation took a dramatic turn...for the worse. Pretty soon Kolton was making a little list of all the reasons we weren't compatible and shouldn't be getting married. His reasoning? I didn't like riding motorbikes, I didn't know anything about pickups, etc. (I had to gently remind him that I am in fact a girl and that those kind of things just don't do it for me...along with almost the entire female population.) The conversation did eventually end, with my head still spinning, and me still thinking of reasons as to why we shouldn't break up and why we should keep dating and just see what would happen. We didn't talk about this conversation much again, but it was still in the back of both our heads.
 
2. The next instance was after a lovely weekend spent in Island Park. I had invited Kolton to the Mickelsen reunion and we'd spent the time boating and eating and doing other family reunion-ish activities. My entire family had been cracking jokes all weekend about us and asking when they could expect an invitation to the wedding. We just laughed it off but I was kind of liking their way of thinking. At the end of the reunion, we were ready to head home when Kolton and I got in a bit of a tiff. He'd made a sarcastic remark and I hadn't laughed it off like he'd expected but instead took a little offense to the comment. I thought it was meaningless but freaked out a bit when Kolton didn't speak two words to me the entire way home. When we pulled into my driveway all of our passengers jumped out of the pickup but Kolton and I stayed in the driveway and I asked him what was the deal. This eventually led again to him saying maybe we should back off and that he just needed to go home. I was a bit freaked out by this and argued my case a bit. We didn't come to any conclusions, so he just left.
(Not to worry, he was back on my couch eating ice cream less than two hours later)
 
3. The third and final instance was exactly two days before I was to head off to school. We had still been spending a ton of time together, but I was getting awful nervous about heading off to school and what would happen to our relationship once I was not so easily accessible and was 300 miles away. One night we had a little talk about it and what it eventually led to (of course) was Kolton getting all confused and not real clear on what exactly he was wanting. There were a lot of "I don't knows" coming from his end of the conversation. He threw out the idea that maybe we should date other people. Instead of arguing my case with him like I had always done before, I just shrugged and told him to let me know when he figured out what he wanted, but that I was leaving in two days and expected him to let me know before I left. He left that night with both of us still confused but (of course!) was back at my door the next day.

Those are all the major instances. Can you see why that man drove me halfway to crazy during our courtship?! 

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha. How can you possibly have this labeled L.O.V.E.? I cracked up reading this. Kolton is lucky you stayed with him through all of that.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Followers