July 15, 2015

Test-Run

So a while ago we had our first little test-run as parents. We have been parents to Brevan and Addi before but it's not really the same. There's nothing we can do to fix them at this point. Oh, and they are kind of old and can take care of themselves basically. 

So when Shannon asked us to watch Emme for the weekend we were a tiny bit nervous but also excited. It got even better when Calvin decided that he wanted to stay with us too. The first little bit Emme was upset but she calmed down and was great the rest of the time! That night we played and ate dinner and hung out. It was pretty low key and a good night! That Calvin is quite the talker and about everything he says is hilarious. I learned a lot about baby hopping cows throughout the whole weekend among other things. When I got Emme to go to sleep I laid her in the pack n' play in the spare bedroom. I was nervous about Calvin getting to sleep because I worried that he would get scared. But he was great! 

We turned on Magic School Bus on Netflix which took both of us back to our childhoods and to my surprise Calvin loved it! We had set him up a little bed on the couch with the John Deere blanket. We figured he would fall asleep during the show but after three episodes he was still going strong! Kolton on the other hand had falled asleep on the floor. I was doing everything I could not to upset Calvin because I worried that it would be a slippery slope but when he asked for a fourth show I had to say no. And he was just fine. I ran him to the bathroom and then laid down next to him on the couch while he fell asleep. It was 10 by then and he was a little worried about the tiny bit of light coming through the slits of the closed blinds. So I closed them the other way and then tried really hard not to laugh when he asked me to push the button on his pillow pet that he was using as a pillow to make it light up. It didn't take too long for him to drift off and then I had to rouse Kolton to come to bed. Man, putting three kids to bed can be a lot of work! 

Emme slept til about two and then woke up and was very upset so I had the brilliant idea to bring her into bed with us. It was quite the night from that point on. She slept pretty good but would wake up and whimper about every hour or so. All it took to get her back to sleep was a little "shhh..." and pat on the back. So it could have been a lot worse. But there definitely was not enough room for the three of us in our little bed, especially with a squirmy baby who was kind of all over the place. She pretty much took up the middle while Kolton and I clung to the edges. 

The next morning we had breakfast and then Kolton took Calvin to work and Emme and I hung around the house. It was pretty rainy and wet outside so Kolton rigged up some rain boots for Calvin by putting bread bags and rubber bands over his shoes. I died laughing but also recognized the brilliance of the idea. While the boys were gone Emme and I cleaned up (turns out syrup and kids is not the greatest idea) played and then cuddled up on the couch and took a little nap. 

After our nap I fixed us a little lunch. While we were eating I kept hearing a wailing sound. I could only hear it every so often because I had the fan going but I couldn't figure out what it was. I thought it was probably Calvin but when he and Kolton never came in the house I didn't know what to think. Finally I checked outside and of course, there was Calvin and he was soooo sad. I felt awful! He had to go potty so Kolton dropped him off (I have no idea why he didn't bring him inside or at least TELL me that he had left him.) and he had come to our front door which no one ever uses and couldn't get it open. He had had an accident since he had been sitting outside for forever and I just felt so so so so bad. So I brought him inside and put him in the bath and basically asked what I could get him to make up for our parenting fail and make him happy. He requested 5 M&Ms. I can do that! By the time he got out of the bath he was happy again. 

But from that point on our relaxing afternoon turned a little hectic. After Calvin got out, I stuck Emme in the bath because she had ended up with peanut butter in her hair. Then I made Calvin lunch and Kolton lunch and because we were trying to go on a date that night I was trying to get ready and clean up and pack up the kids and it was a lot of work! 

But we got it all done and really did have a good time! And because we kept our heads above water we decided that maybe we can handle one baby. Maybe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers