October 1, 2014

On Top of Old Smoookey

Labor Day is always a little iffy at our house. We can't ever decide if it's a day to play, or a day to labor. (I say play, Kolton says labor. Obviously.)
This year I won the argument. Not much of an argument really. I'm little by little getting Kolton converted to the dark side. 
So at about 7 on Sunday night we decided to head up with my family to Island Park. 
We packed up and were outta there and only hit one small deer on the way up. 
I was in the back seat separating Addi and Brevan and was not having a very good time. I was hot and then cold and then my legs were cramped up and pretty soon nobody was listening to anything I had to say anymore. 
The joke was on them because when I saw the little deer in the headlights and said, "Oh! Deer!" Nobody paid any attention until we smacked into it with the side of the pickup. It didn't do too much damage but I think it was a good lesson to everybody that they should listen when I am talking whether I am complaining incessantly or sharing important life-saving information. 

When we finally got to the cabin we settled in and turned on Secretariat which is just the neatest movie we think. Then we went to bed. 
The next morning we decided to go on a little razr ride to the top of Sawtelle. I had never been up there before and thought it sounded like fun idea until the razrs started moving. It was the coldest dang ride we had ever been on! I had been stupid and figured that even though it had been raining a lot lately it was still just the very beginning of September, still practically August, so I did not pack very warm clothes. I ended up wearing Kolton's sweats over my own and my mom's jacket. Halfway through the ride I procured some goggles which simultaneously made me look like the biggest nerd on the planet and also kept the never-ending dust out of my eyes. It was a fair trade. 
We stopped when we were about halfway there and contemplated going back because we were all freezing but instead decided to press on. 
And it was worth it! When we got to the top of the mountain it was so beautiful and actually a lot warmer than the ride had been. 
Brevan thinks he's hilarious. 
We enjoyed the views and then headed back home the long way. It had considerably warmed up and the ride home was much more pleasant. 

For a small part of the ride we got in some thicker trees and Kolton was driving like a madman trying to get ahead of everyone. I was holding on for dear life and barely heard and registered the instructions I was given before he jumped from the razr. 
When it finally all clicked in my head I kept driving the razr a little more slowly obviously and watched as Kolton hid behind some trees and scared the daylights out of my Dad and Addi.
After that we went back to the cabin, had some lunch, and headed out. It was a short little jaunt but sure made for a nice Labor Day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers