October 18, 2014

Class bonding and buggy flies

So we started school about 2 months ago. It's been a lot different this year! I thought I knew 5th graders inside and out but these kids are so different from my last ones! Anyway.  I Just haven't felt like I have bonded with these kids so well as the ones last year. Maybe because I've been more of a hard nose than last year trying to nip little things in the bud and train the kids rather than let them run wild and rampant. 
That's probably it. 
But the other day I felt like we really just had ourselves a moment. And it was over killing flies of all things. 
So we have had a serious fly problem in our room. They are awful and so buggy and making us all crazy. Well, the kids were supposed to be studying their spelling words but instead they were hunting around for flies. And it's not enough just to catch the flies, they have to get them alive and then rip their wings off and it's just a whole big thing. 
So a few kids were studying in the corner and I walked over and saw a fly running around on a kid's hand. I didn't realize he had caught it, ripped its wings off and made it his pet and since we have all been trying to kill all the flies when possible I grabbed a book and killed that sucker right in the palm of his hand. 
We laughed at that and especially at the look of surprise on his face when he realized I had killed his new friend. 
And with that, all sorts of fly killing stories came out. 
But my favorite one was when a boy told me that one time he was in his room reading and there was a fly buzzing around. He sat there with his book open for forever and when the fly finally landed on his book he slammed it shut, never opened it again, and returned it to the library. 
I died laughing. 
Just imagining some poor innocent kid turning a page in his book to find a decaying smashed fly just put me over the edge. 
I still laugh every time I think about and how proud the kid was of this story. 
And that's how you bond with 5th graders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers