July 16, 2014

Mickelsen Reunion/Fourth of July!

So for the Mickelsen reunion we always go up to Island Park over the Fourth of July. 
It is just fabulous and I love the 4th. 
We went up Thursday evening and enjoyed some peace and quiet while we waited for everyone else to show up. I sat in a chair outside and read my book and Kolton played fetch with his dog. That's all that dog wants to do. He also tried to teach him to swim, and I think Duke kinda liked it! 

Then we had pizza for dinner and found our reunion mascot on the roof. How fitting!

On Saturday we just played on the water and sat in the sun and went on the boat and loved every second. I wakeboarded a couple times and had to show Brevan how it was done! I told my mom to get me jumping but she didn't. Trust me when I say I got some big air. Six inches at least!


Then Kolton came out and showed me up of course. 

Madison and Addi also enjoyed the wakeboard. 


Later in the day we tried to teach Davis how to wakeboard and he was NOT happy about it. The whole experience brought back SO many memories of my dad teaching me to ski. I would sit out in the water and just cry and cry and cry and beg him to let me stop and it was just awful. But it built character! 

Lately I get motion sick super easy so after some time in the boat I was ready for a break. I sat on the beach  and just relaxed and visited and it was great. 

When it was time to make dinner I had to share my expertise in scone making with everyone. They made fun of me, but I DID work for four years in the drill team/cheerleading booth at the Mud Lake Fair making scones. I know a thing or two about it! 
And holy cow, dinner was just the best ever. We had ribs and beans and scones and salads and I don't even know what else but I didn't want to stop. 

Then we went out on the boat to enjoy the fireworks. The other boat wasn't working so we had quite the load! As always, the fireworks were fantastic. I think they get better every year! But again, we kept saying "Oh! The grand finale!" and then the fireworks would stop and everyone in all the boats would cheer and clap and then they would start up again. This happened probably 10 times. My favorite part though was when everyone started chanting "USA! USA!" It was great. 

After the big fireworks we lit off some of our own at the cabin. I don't know what it is about men and fireworks, but they were sure busy. 
Kolton and I took a quiet little canoe ride in the dark to the other cabin which I just really loved. It was so peaceful and quiet and I told Kolton to paddle slower so we could enjoy it longer. 
The next morning we hung out for a bit and then left to hang out with Hansens at Kilgore. 
And that was that! 

I just always love the Fourth of July. I think it is such a great holiday celebrating such a great event. I loved teaching my kids about it a little bit this year and realizing how big and important this holiday really is. 
God Bless America! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers