April 16, 2014

Cruise in Review Part 7

The last day we ate a last supper type of breakfast in the Windjammer. Then we tried to see how long they would let us stay on the boat before they kicked us off. While everyone else was standing in line and getting off the boat we were on the top deck just hanging out. 

We finally couldn't stay up there any longer (but I really wanted to see what they would do if they actually had to kick us off) and then we were on dry land for good. It was extremely depressing walking through the same building on the way out as we did on the way in. We passed a stairwell where Kolton and I had waited for my family to get their SeaPass cards and it was just so sad to be leaving instead of coming. 

Then came the fun part. We got off the ship at 10 am and our flight didn't leave until 5 pm. So there we are with all of our luggage stuck in Florida for 7 hours. Granted, there are worse places to be stuck, but it was still a bummer.


I wanted to go to the beach until I thought through how fun it would be to have a sandy bum on the plane ride home. Basically we didn't know what we were supposed to do, especially since we had about 20 suitcases we were lugging around. 

We finally ended up taking our bags to the airport and checking them in and then we got a cab and went to a  shopping plaza in the hopes of catching a movie. 

When that plan fell through because the movie times didn't correlate with our flight schedule we ended up going to TGI Friday's for some lunch. 

This turned out to be both a good and bad plan. Apparently some cooks hadn't showed up for work that day so they were a little understaffed. I'm pretty sure our waiter was back there helping them cook which is why we sat there for over an hour waiting for our food. 

When the food finally came out, mine, Kolton's, and Marshall's orders were nowhere to be found. I kept thinking they would head back to the kitchen and bring them out but we never saw our waiter again. 

After everyone had finished their food we were still sitting there waiting when our waiter came out. He apologized a thousand times and then told us we could have any dessert we wanted on the house while he was getting our lunch orders ready. 

I had a momentary loss of brain function that caused me to say no, I did not want any free dessert. I do not know what that was all about. I didn't want to spoil my appetite for lunch, I guess even though I'm pretty sure my stomach was exponentially stretched due to the large amounts of ice cream that I had in fact been eating in between every meal the entire week. 

Yes, it was odd. 

But Kolton gave me a few bites of his and then our lunch finally came out. It was really very delicious even though we were the only ones sitting at the table by this time. Everyone else had abandoned us to sit outside. 

After that two and a half hour lunch venture it was time to head back to the airport. So we sat, and sat, and sat, and waited for a cab. 

It was at this time that I figured Brevan and Maci had missed listening to a lecture from Mrs. Hansen so I taught them a little bit about palm trees. 


Finally the cab showed up and took half of our group so the rest of us sat and sat and sat and waited for another one. 

By this time we were starting to get a little nervous about making that flight that we had been waiting so long for. But finally two more cabs came and we were able to make it in time. 

We flew back to Charlotte and had a brief layover and then caught our next plane and were homebound. It was the worst flight of our lives. There was so much turbulence the ENTIRE time. It was late and we were tired and it was just so bumpy and miserable. 
I finished the book I was reading and then watched a movie. After the movie the flight attendants informed us that we were ALMOST halfway there. 

Then I died. 

It was the longest flight of our lives. 

We finally did make it to SLC and were complete zombies while getting our luggage and hitching a ride back to our car. 
Then we started the long drive home. 

When we finally got into our own car at my parents house Kolton commented on how well we did on time on the way home. I told him that my dad had been driving quite fast the entire way home but I was also surprised that we had made it home at the time that we did. 

Turns out, as soon as we got home and saw our clocks we remembered that we hadn't reset our car clock for Daylight Savings Time and that it was indeed 3 in the morning rather than 2 which is what we thought. 

Then we flopped into our own bed and I remembered how smart I had been to clean the house before we left because it was nice to come home to a clean house. 

And that was the end my friends to the best vacation ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers