December 19, 2013

Proud Teacher

Last Friday I had the proudest moment of my teaching career thus far. (As opposed to one of the lowest points of my teaching career that occurred the previous Monday)

During my short prep time break I was running around trying to get everything set for my afternoon class to come in and start the day when the secretary told me I had to meet with the insurance guy that was at the school that day. 

I was not looking forward to meeting with him and was avoiding it for a couple of really good reasons. 

1. This same insurance guy had talked to us at a staff meeting earlier in the week and quickly lost me as he used words such as Section 125, IRS, flex accounts, etc. I do not know what these things mean and he was rushing along so fast I didn't even get a chance to ask. 
Okay, I probably should have just asked the questions I had but it had been a long day and I was tired and really not feeling it. 

2. I only have a one year contract with the school (so far) so if I am not here next year all the insurance junk I've signed up for and spent time looking over will be wasted and gone when I no longer work at the school. 

3. Because I only have a one year contract, even though the school provides insurance I have kept my previous insurance because I don't want to go through the hassle of signing back up in a matter of months. So I am already double covered on health insurance...I think I'm good!

Good reasons, right?

So you can understand why I was not looking forward to and was avoiding this meeting. But he pulled me in there and I got to ask all my questions and give all my reasons for not being interested and then feel guilty when he talked all about being covered for everything and then feeling silly because I just didn't want any more insurance! 
It's complicated. 

ANYWAY...so as we were in this meeting that I didn't want to be in in the first place I realized that my class was getting back from P.E. and were probably wreaking havoc in the classroom as I was speaking about insurance. 
Needless to say, I was a bit nervous to head back to class and see the state of the classroom and the children in it with no teacher there to supervise them. 

But lo and behold, when I walked into the classroom this is what I saw:

-Almost every kid seated quietly at their desk copying down the DOL sentences I had written on the board. 
-The one student that was not in her seat was up at the board erasing the corrections to the DOL that I had done with the previous class.

And then I cried.
Not really, but I felt like it. I was so impressed with those kids for knowing what they needed to do even though I wasn't there to tell them. Oh, they were so amazing and I told that about 500 times how much I just love them. 
That was a good end to a crazy week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers