October 23, 2013

A Boy and His Cat

We got a cat this summer. 
Her name was Lola (note the "was"...just so you're prepared)

Kolton loved this cat. Like, really. As I have grown older I do not care for animals as much as I once did. As Kolton has grown older he has become a real softy. 

Lola was delivered to us while we were up camping at the Hansen family reunion. She stayed in a box inside the camper while we mingled with family. Later that afternoon I caught Kolton carrying Lola out of the camper to give her some fresh air. I had forgotten all about her. 

Every morning before he leaves for work, Kolton feeds that cats and pets them and tries to tame the wilder ones. I'm not exaggerating in the least when I say that I honestly have not even seen the cats for a week. Let alone petted them or fed them. It's a good thing those cats have Kolton. 
Out of the three cats Lola has always had a special place in Kolton's heart.

One day we realized that Lola was getting awful fat. As time passed and she kept getting bigger and bigger we determined that she was probably "with child". We were a little angry because she was so little and her stomach was getting so big and we were worried about her. So Kolton, being the good pet owner that he is, spent some time after work one night and made a cat house. I got a text from him saying, "Get a housewarming gift ready!" and when he came home I went outside to see this:


And I died laughing. 

Unfortunately, this story has a sad ending. 
So Lola just kept getting bigger and bigger and we started thinking that any day now she would have those kittens. 
One morning we went outside and she couldn't move to stand up. Her back legs weren't working. We brought her in the garage and figured she was probably in labor. I checked on her every couple hours and she just kept getting worse and worse. By the time Kolton got home for lunch she had died. It was the weirdest thing and I felt so bad. We really don't know what exactly happened but we started wondering if maybe she had a tumor instead of kittens...? Don't even know if that's possible, but we sure felt bad. 
Our animal killing saga continues. We've decided it might just be best to stay away and not get attached. If this is any indication to our parenting skill level, we may be in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers