August 9, 2013

Just Call Me Mrs. Hansen

It's true!
In a matter of only a few more days I will be known as Mrs. Hansen to 49 fifth graders at good ole Terreton Elementary. 
Cue freak out...

When we were headed down to Mexico I got a call from the Superintendent asking if I would like to come in for an interview for a teaching position. 
I somehow stammered out a yes and was shocked beyond belief. The whole vacation I would find myself thinking about the interview and if I would really get the job and what in the heck I would do if I actually did get the job. 
For the record, going on vacation the week before a big job interview is actually a pretty good idea. I would get stressed and be a nervous wreck, then go for a dip in the ocean. I would start stressing about my lack of skills in classroom management and order a pina colada. 
It was a very stressful/non-stressful week. 

Finally we came home from the trip and the long awaited day came. The interview got postponed for a few hours and then it was finally time. 
I was dressed in my most "Don't-I-look-competent" outfit as I jumped in the car and backed out of the garage. As I did so, I saw a slip of paper on the passenger seat about my car insurance. Ironically, I was thinking about car insurance as I continued to back out of the garage and also as I backed into the four-wheeler that was parked in my driveway.

I said a few bad words in my head and then jumped out to assess the damage. Nothing too serious besides a shattered tail light. And then I had to call Kolton and confess to my stupidity. 

For the record, wrecking your car before a big job interview is actually a pretty good idea. I would start to get nervous and then remember what I had done to my car and want to punch myself in the face. I would start worrying about what type of questions they were going to ask me and then remember that I was the one who had parked the four-wheeler behind my car.
It was a very stressful/angry drive.

When I finally got to the district office I was a jumbled mess! But then the rapid fire questioning began and I didn't have time to be nervous as I was spouting off answers to the strangest questions ever. 
When the interview was over, I really didn't know how to feel about it. I shook their hands really not knowing if I had the job or not. Right as I was about to get to the car, the superintendent opened up his office window and yelled, "Jayci! Come back!" 

He brought me back into his office and asked me questions about my certification, whether I was certified or not. Then he showed me how to get certified and told me, "This is your job this week. You HAVE to get this done!" 
After that I was pretty sure I had the job. 

Sure enough, less than two hours later, I got the call and had got the job! 

And the rest of the summer has been stressful ever since! 
I've tried to start planning everything and my head gets so full of ideas that I can't fall asleep at night. I lay awake forever thinking about what I want to do and what I want to change about this or that. But now school is right around the corner and it's almost showtime! I have some pretty extensive notes.

 For example, here's the first day of school:
 And here's the desk where I try to figure and re-figure everything out.

Anyway...
I am nervous as all get out, but really excited too! I think it will be a really good learning and growing experience for all of us involved. 
Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Congratulations and good luck! I am totally jealous and will live vicariously through your teaching experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Followers