July 27, 2012

why potatoes are an integral part of our relationship

This love story is getting just a little too drawn out. the original plan was to write once a month on our "anniversary" but that obviously didn't happen. So I'll try to wrap it all up in the next....little while. no committments.


The summer of 2010 was bound to be the best summer of my life. I had successfully survived my first year of college which was a miracle in and of itself. I had been so nervous that I would flunk out of all my classes and have no friends. But I think I did alright on both counts.
Now I was home for the summer and had a handsome young beau on the line who would be living only 3 miles down the road instead of 360 miles as our previous arrangement had been.
The first night I was home I got to accompany him to town on a parts run. And I loved it. It just felt so natural and I don't really know how to explain it beyond that it wasn't really a forced or planned date but just a spur of the moment excuse to hang out with each other and do stuff that possibly serious boyfriend/girlfriend material peeps did.
But maybe I was reading too much into it.
Probably to Kolton it was just a parts run.
Go figure.
Anyway, that night I got introduced to the Turkey BLT at Millhollow and my life has never been the same. It's now our favorite place on the planet and we are seriously thinking of buying a franchise. if they are planning to franchise, that is.

Over the course of the next few weeks we saw each other every single night. I delivered cinnamon rolls to him one night while he was out working and every other night he would stop by for a couple of hours and we would chat, eat Reed's Dairy ice cream, and he would fall asleep on my couch until it was time to get in the cold pickup and drive home (that's been one of the highlights of marriage. he doesn't have to drive home anymore!)

And then we had our first argument. maybe a "tiff" would be a better descriptor. It's not even that. It was more like the first time I got mad at him and wanted him to know that I was mad at him. And it's so stupid and I can't even believe i'm telling the story but here it is.
So Kolton had come over every single night since I had moved home. I'd seen him every day and I was loving it. No matter what we were doing, installing a dishwasher, driving around the farm, watching a movie, or not even really doing anything at all-I was thoroughly enjoying myself. We were at that strange stage where I was still trying to figure out where we stood and if we should pursue this any further. If  he was even interested in me at all or if the Reed's Dairy ice cream was the only thing pulling him to my house each evening.
So after about a month of this Kolton got pretty busy planting potatoes and was getting up early and staying out late working.
So one night he called me after he was done for the night and told me that he probably wouldn't be coming over that night because he was tired.
I immediately got all fired up. I don't know if this was the answer to all my concerns or if I was just tired and crazy (probably all three) but I was NOT happy with him. And I tried to let him know by explaining myself (Not very well, I might add. I think at one point I said something along the lines of "I just want you to want to come over). When that tirade was over he simply said, "Okay. Well, I'm going to bed."
So I hung up the phone and fumed all the way through watching Pretty Woman with my mom and Tylee.
(That makes Kolton out to be real insensitive...which is pretty much how it went down! Just kidding. He really was tired and some part of me understood that but I just wanted him to want to come over and he apparently didn't, the big jerk!)

Anyway...
The next morning I woke up and felt a little better about the situation. (It's amazing what sleep will do for a person) But I still wasn't about to call up Kolton and invite him over. So I waited patiently for a couple of hours and sure enough soon my phone rang and I got an official invitation to ride in the buddy seat while planting potatoes.
Of course I accepted.
And then I had to swallow my pride and apologize for being such a crazy the night before.
He accepted.
And it was the best buddy seat ride I'd ever had.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers