February 21, 2012

in which we go over our minutes

(I've been slacking on the looove story lately. It's riveting stuff people! So this is the next chapter...)

After the farewell Sunday with the rumors and the westerns and such, I had to head back down to good ole Provo. Before this week, Kolton and I had occasionally talked on the phone. not a whole lot because we were both busy, but usually one or two nights a week he would call me up.
This week, that all changed.
Because I'm nerdy, I kept track of how long we would talk on the phone each night and by the end of that week while I was in Provo at school and he was in Rexburg in school, we talked for 14 hours.
14 hours.
in 7 days.
One night we broke our all time record (probably the record still stands) and talked on the phone for 3 1/2 hours.
I honestly don't know what we had to say to each other.
Obviously some pretty important stuff.....or not.

Amid all this phone talking, we somehow got some homework done and a couple weeks later I was able to come home again.
When Kolton came to pick me up at my house my dad came upstairs with his shotgun and said "You guys have fun, I'll just be here cleanin my gun..." If you know my dad at all you know how utterly intimidating he is NOT, so we all got a kick out of that one. After we stopped laughing he said "I've just always wanted to do that." Silly guy!

After that incident we headed into Rexburg where I was officially initiated as Kolton's....girlfriend?
I had to meet his friends, Zach and Sara, and I was SO nervous! We went to a barbershop quartet that I thought was positively charming and then went with "the friends" back to their apartment and made fried candy bars. (Allens-whenever I think of you guys the first thought that comes to mind is your deep fat fryer. I knew we would be good friends clear back then because of our similar eating habits.)
I survived meeting "the friends" and had a good time even though I utterly crashed and burned at Uno.

The next day Kolton picked up me and my two sisters and we headed into town for the city league basketball games. My parents were on vacation and I was a little nervous about driving to town on the scary roads alone. ( and I might have just thought this was a pretty good excuse to not let Kolton out of my sight all weekend.) I loved that I felt like I could ask him to do these kind of things with me and that he would say yes in a heartbeat.

lLter that night we played house and made dinner for the kids. Then I initiated Kolton by making him watch my favorite movie of all time, "You've Got Mail."  and we had our first big "talk".
Basically Kolton asked me if iIcould see this thing potentially going anywhere and if it was worth pursuing. We both agreed that we would just see where it took us. I got a little freaked out over this conversation. The word "marriage" was never mentioned, but we both knew what we were meaning-that this could potentially lead there. It may seem like we were jumping into this thing waaay too fast, we'd only known each other for about a month at this point, half of that time was spent 400 miles away from each other, but it didn't feel that way. I was still a little nervous, like a "holy cow, is this really happening?" but decided to just let the chips fall.

The next day at church as I sat by Kolton during sacrament meeting I realized that I could potentially be sitting next to him at church for about the rest of forever.
Needless to say, I wasn't freaked out anymore.

All too soon, the dreaded 4:00 on Sunday afternoon came around and I headed out with the events of the weekend tumbling around my head and not exactly knowing what everything meant or what in the heck was happening here.

1 comment:

  1. Love your writing. I was so excited to see we were featured I had to make Zach stop what he was doing and read it too him. Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Followers