February 14, 2012

the day of looove

I always hated Valentine's Day.
Always.
In elementary school my mom would buy me these tacky valentine's and I had to carefully choose which valentine fit for which person and make sure I didn't send anything too lovey dovey to a boy in my class, because that would just be embarrassing! Then I would write "from: Jayci" til I couldn't even spell my name right anymore.
This hate affair became much more pronounced in high school when I never had a valentine.
obviously

And then I started dating Kolton.
And my Valentine's Day significantly improved.
The first time we were valentines, I gave him a book on tape with my strict instructions that he could only listen to it if he was driving to Provo.
He gave me a blanket he made. 
Yes, you read that right. 
With the help of his sister and mom he got fabric and tied together a fleece blanket for me. He'd just been down to Provo where I had complained about not having a blanket. So he made me one. (what a guy!)
And he also gave me a handmade card that said on the outside...
"Jayc, I just wanted to let you know that my heart...."
and on the inside it said 
"Beats for you!" and taped inside was an EKG that he had done in class. 
I got a kick out of this and thought what a witty/thoughtful boyfriend/special friend/neighbor/possible future husband I had. 


And then I got married.
And decided Valentine's Day is actually pretty alright. (is that cliche, or what?)
Last year we both went all out.
I spent a couple full days in town searching for the perfect backpack to give to Kolton (his old one was hanging on by a few threads) and the card that would sum up exactly how I felt about him. (in a witty way, of course)
(P.S. I got in trouble for spending too much on the backpack and it went right back to the store once Kolton saw the receipt, and traded in for something significantly cheaper. Whoops!)
Kolton got me a beautiful little houseplant that had the prettiest pink flowers, and a cute little pink/purple Valentine's Day outfit. I don't know that he thought of it as a valentine's outfit when he pointed to the mannequin and told the sales girl "I want that one" but that's how I think of it.

This year we chilled out a bit.
I guess that's what happens when you're no longer in newlywedded bliss and can think straight again.
After Kolton left this morning for class, I found a bamboo plant (love this houseplant tradition!) a card, and a Zero candy bar. In the card, Kolton wrote about how he didn't notice the flowers attached to the bamboo plant were fake until after he had bought it, and that he bought the candy bar because he thought it was my favorite (I have never actually had a Zero candy bar in my life). I got a kick out of all of this and enjoyed eating my breakfast while reading the directions on how to take care of the deceiving non-flowering bamboo plant.
Kolton got a little vibrating back massager with not even a card or candy bar because I'm super lame and sick and try to avoid shopping at all costs. 
aAd that was our day! We're planning on a hot date sometime this weekend to officially celebrate our looove for each other. 
Can't wait! 

P.S. Kolton's card also had hand-drawn movie tickets with the promise we could go to The Vow (again, so cliche!) whenever I wanted......but only one time. I sure like that kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers