October 28, 2011

the reason

I also don't know why I'm sharing this story especially since it's not humorous and not even my own personal experience.
I guess it's just something that I want to remember...
And it makes me just a little bit emotional.

So I am in love with all (okay, maybe not all) but most of my teacher education classes.I'm in an Early Field Experience class where I basically go to the elementary school in St. Anthony and spend two hours in a third grade classroom two days a week. But that's a whole 'nother story for another time. During the one day a week that my professor actually lectures to us is one of my most favorite parts of the week. She's just the sweetest lady ever and has some of the best stories to share about her experiences in the classroom. One of my favorites is the following:

So Sis. B. taught school in Philly for a couple years. It was a rough part of town and many of her students lived in single-parent homes that were less than functional. One such girl was named Jessica. She was in third grade and lived with her mom who was a bit of a druggie and neglectful. So Jessica, third grade Jessica, was responsible for getting her little kindergarten brother ready for school each morning, among other things. Jessica wasn't living in an ideal situation and had just been played a hard card in life. But she was a nice, sweet girl who did well in school despite her situation.

One day, Jessica was eating lunch in the lunchroom and accidentally spilled her carton of milk all over the table. The lunchlady wasn't very kind about the incident and probably came down harder on Jessica than she should have. Sis. B. saw the whole incident and Jessica crying afterward. 

So this sweet lady that is my professor went back to her classroom and filled one of those "big gulp" drinks you get from the gas station clear full of water. She rearranged her desk, dug some old papers out of the garbage, and spread them out over her desk with her big glass of water right in the middle of her desk. 

After the kids came in from recess, Sis B. was talking to them when she "accidentally" knocked over the glass of water. The water spilled all over the desk, soaking all the papers, dripping down the sides of the desk and onto the carpet.
The class went completely wide-eyed and silent. 
Sis B. looked at the mess she had made, shrugged her shoulders and said, "Oh well, we'll clean that mess up later. Let's head on down to p.e." 

So the kids packed up their stuff and with a few glances at the dripping desk, followed Sis B. to the gym to have a lesson from the p.e. teacher. As the students were filing into the gym, Sis. B. asked Jessica if she would please come back with her to the classroom and help her clean up the mess. 
Jessica agreed and they went back to the classroom. As they cleaned up the sopping mess of papers and such, Sis B. expressed to Jessica what a special little girl she was and how much she enjoyed having her in her classroom.
After the desk was cleaned up, life went on, and the other kids came back from p.e.

Fast forward two years.
Jessica was in fifth grade and Sis B. still taught third grade. One day, Jessica came to Sis B.'s classroom to chat with her. After visiting for a minute, Jessica looked Sis B. in the eye and said
"That day you spilled your water all over the table...you did that on purpose, didn't you?"
Sis B. confessed that she had indeed done it on purpose, and Jessica said to her

"One day I'm going to grow up and be a teacher just like  you."

Oh goodness, for some reason that story just gets me every time. I think mostly it just reminds me of why I want to be a teacher. I can have the chance to make children feel special every single day.

And I think that's just about the best reason ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers