September 22, 2011

christmas break part 4

"Wellll....I was wondering if you might give me a little New Year's kiss?"

Gasp.
My lungs begin to shut down and
I. Can't. Breathe.
Did he seriously just say that to me?
I play back the last thirty seconds and find that, indeed, he did in fact say those words to me.

And then I start to laugh.
Yes.
Right out loud.
I was just so blindsided by this question.
 I mean, I knew we'd seen a lot of each other,
I knew he laughed at my jokes,
and liked to beat me at speed,
But did he actually like me?
like, like-like me?
What in the world is happening here?!

When the world finally righted itself and I stopped my chuckling, I realized that several seconds had passed, the invitation still hung in the air, but nothing had happened.
I started to think that maybe he regretted his question and was hoping I hadn't heard him.
But then I realized that this was Kolton and he doesn't go throwing around those kind of invitations without careful thought and consideration.
Good night! The kid doesn't have an impetuous bone in his body!
But still, there we were with my head still on his chest and nothing had happened.

It was just starting to get a tinsy bit awkward when I realized it was up to me (and that possibly my laughter may have weakened his resolve) so I waited a few more seconds, just to see him squirm and make him real nervous.

I might have also had to build up a little courage.

I mean, c'mon! you don't go fantasizing about a boy your whole life and then just go and kiss him! You gotta work up some courage and tell yourself that on the count of three you'll sit up, lean down real slow, and then just....do it.

So with my heart pounding I did just that.
And it wasn't earth-shattering or life-changing and no fireworks went off but....
It was nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers