June 26, 2011

christmas break part 2

I found out rather quickly that Kolton is a man of his word.
It wasn't too long after our Sunday date that he called me up for another. We got together with some friends, Andra and Marshall, Laken and Skyler, and took fourwheelers up into the mountains to find some trails. There was a ton of snow, but we didn't let that slow us down. We went about as far as we could and then discovered a big hill that was completely covered in ice. We took advantage of the gigantic slip-n-slide and just really had a nice time sliding down the hill on our bellies, the seats of the fourwheelers, and whatever else we could find, then trying to climb back up. It was really a lot of fun.
Soon it got dark and we headed back to Marshall's house to have dinner.
We had met up with everyone at Skyler's house, so Kolton and I were going to jump in our own pickup to head up to Marshall's.

To digress a little, I'd like to take a moment to discuss the barrier of the center console in a pickup. On all of our previous dates, and for that matter, on the way to Skyler's house; the center console had stayed down and we had sat in our own separate seats on our own separate sides of the pickup. When we arrived back at Skyler's house however, Kolton had gone to warm up the pickup and when I finally opened the door of the pickup, I was alarmed to find the center console up and the expanse of the large center seat staring me straight in the eye. I panicked just a little bit....
What do I DO? Do I sit on MY side of the pickup? Do I dare put the console back down? Will I seem too forward if I sit in the middle? Did he do this on purpose?
All of these questions and a million more were racing through my brain.
So I did the only logical thing I could think of to do.
I sat half of me on the middle seat, and half of me on the far seat.
It was quite uncomfortable, and as we were driving, I could see Kolton sneaking peeks at me and my uncomfortable situation and the awkward way I handled it.
Finally he looked me in the eye and said,
"You can come sit by me if you want"
So I did.
And it was a huge improvement from the previous seating arrangement. :)

When we arrived at Marshall's we immediately got to work preparing a dutch oven meal Kolton had planned. Needless to say,  three hours later, the potatoes were still crunchy. I don't know what went wrong, but that stuff just didn't want to cook and Kolton was getting more and more embarrassed as the hours passed. Inside the other couples were playing games and I went outside to sit with Kolton on the step as we watched the potatoes and tried to figure out what went wrong.
 As we were sitting out there we talked a little bit, but mostly just sat in a comfortable silence. It was nice. and I felt like it dispelled a lot of the still-lingering awkwardness of our new friendship/relationship or whatever it was at that stage. That seems really strange, but I think it was just that we were sitting together and finally felt comfortable around each other and didn't have to struggle to think of things to say. Like I said, it was nice.

Finally we decided we couldn't wait any longer to eat so we scarfed it down, crunchy potatoes and all.
After dinner we went to watch a movie.
Kolton sat on the couch and I just snuggled myself up next to him. Looking back, I just can't believe how all of that happened so quickly. It just felt comfortable and I didn't even think twice about it.
That could have also been because I was dead tired.I zonked out shortly after the movie started and didn't wake up until Kolton was shaking me and telling me it was time to leave. I had been leaning on his shoulder and he had gotten up, packed up the pickup and was ready to go before I finally woke up. That was slightly embarrassing but mostly funny. He'd plum wore me out!
When he dropped me off at my door we said our good-byes and I was thoroughly looking forward to seeing him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers