July 7, 2011

my kitchen is infested with fruit flies and other pressing matters


It's true.
I don't know exactly what happened while we were away celebrating the fourth but there must have been some kind of party because we have about five million of these nasty, teensy, buggy, little flies that are everywhere and in everything and are driving me absolutely insane.
Kolton insists that they are fruit flies {I tried to tell him that we don't exactly live in the Amazon...but whatever}. I don't exactly know what species of bug they are, I just know that I want them out.
Preferably soon.
I've spent the last two days with a flyswatter handy squishing as many of the little nasties as I can. Unfortunately, I'm not a real good aim so I mostly manage to swing and swing and don't manage to get any.
But I'm working on it...and my aim is slowly improving.

On another note.
We have this tree in our backyard. We had the same kind of trees at my elementary school. Right about the time school would let out, these trees would get all leafy and cotton-y. I don't know what the deal was, but the trees would shed this cotton-like stuff. For the last few weeks of school as we were out at recess or headed to the bus we could look up and there would be cotton floating down from these trees as gracefully as snow, or rolling across the schoolyard in big balls of cotton-y goodness. 
I thought it was quite charming, and was rather disappointed when just a few years ago these trees got cut down.
Now that I have my own tree...I completely understand.
The other morning I was weeding the garden when a breeze picked up. The breeze knocked some of the cotton out of my tree and soon I was inhaling cotton through my nose.
It was highly uncomfortable.
Now all the cotton is completely gone from the tree and is scattered all over my yard. 
It's not quite so charming anymore.

Also...
This weekend we celebrated the fourth. It was quite lovely.
We were with my family in Island Park, and spent most of the time on the boat. We had a really nice time. It was so enjoyable, in fact, that we didn't even think about reapplying our sunscreen.
Now we are paying for our weekend in the sun.
Holy mackerel we have got some sore and sunburned bodies!
We're just sticky from all the aloe vera we've been gooping on, and I don't know that it's helping all that much.
I guess that's the price we gotta pay for having fun.
I'm feeling even more punished because I skipped my classes in favor of staying on the lake, and I'm sunburned worse than Kolton.
We definitely learned our lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers