April 25, 2011

i'm a little nervous...

since we've moved out to our new house some kind of funny things have happened. {"funny" in this instance meaning, "not real funny at all"}
first: we have a teensy little mouse problem. if you understood how much i hate hate hate hate HATE mice, you would know that it's not exactly a "teensy little problem". we've only caught five in the two weeks we've lived there {knock on wood} so it hasn't been terrible, but i just feel like my whole house is infected and disgusting.
however, the worst part is that we've got some smarty pants mice on our hands. the first night we moved in, after i fainted repeatedly from hearing about the mice problem, and seeing evidence of the mice problem. we set some traps and went to bed. i insisted on setting a trap in our bedroom to "protect us" but kolton let me know that that would probably only draw the mice into our room. so instead we set the trap just a few feet away from our door in order to protect us {i.e. me} but not bring them to us. about five minutes after we turned out the light, a mouse trap went off. kolton left to take care of the problem. not ten minutes after that another trap went off and kolton again took care of the problem. this included, i might add, hitting a mouse that had been knocked silly by the trap with the lid of a tupperware container, slipping and falling, and hitting the mouse repeatedly with the said lid. needless to say, there was a lot of noise coming from the kitchen but there was NO WAY i was going to check it out. i was curled up in bed hyperventilating at the thought that there was a mouse in my kitchen and that it could possibly be heading my way.
but that's not what i wanted to tell you.
remember the trap we set down the hall? we woke up the next morning to find the trap completely licked clean of peanut butter and sitting right outside our bedroom door. kolton was ticked that he'd been outsmarted and was now being taunted, i was just terrified that the smart mouse was going to "get me" {i get real irrational when it comes to mice, in case you haven't noticed}
but like i said, we've caught five and haven't seen any for a couple days {knock on wood} we've got a cat and i bought about nineteen million traps that are now set in every corner. we've got the situation under control.....hopefully for my sakes.

Second instance: the other morning i was blowdrying my hair about like i do every day. i had my roundbrush and was blowdrying the top of my hair when i pulled the blowdryer away and noticed a big black spot surrounded by a brownish/orangish bigger spot. i turned off the blowdryer and investigated. i was sure that in the moving something had gotten stuck to my roundbrush and was now stuck in my hair.
i was wrong.
i touched the spot and chunks, and i mean CHUNKS of hair fell off of my head! i must have singed my hair because the sink and counter was covered in hair before i even knew what was going on. as i investigated further and got all the chunks to stop falling out, i noticed that i now had itty bitty baby hair poking up all over and that the hair was still a sickly orange-y color.
luckily i had a hair appointment the next day, so i just threw on a hat and made do.
Third instance: so we bought ourselves a washer and dryer for our house but when it came time to hook up the dryer we realized that the dryer cord did not match up with the outlet in the house. so the next time i went to town i picked up a dryer cord that i thought matched up the closest with the picture i had drawn of our actual outlet {the lady at the parts store actually congratulated me on the fact i had thought to draw a picture. she probably knew the picture was way better than me trying to explain and demonstrate with my hands}
with my new cord in hand, i headed home. when i got there i decided to check to see if the cord i had bought would fit in the outlet.
and in hindsight, i know. i realize that this was really, really stupid. i also realize that it's not a good idea for a girl like me to experiment with electricity. {there's a reason i have a husband, after all}
but at that time and place, i had yet to realize all of these things.
so i....well, i.....i stuck the dryer cord into the outlet while it was still in the packaging and all the prongs were still touching. {this is the equivalent of sticking a screwdriver into an outlet, i soon found out}
but at the time, i didn't know this and was more than a little shocked when a huge blue spark thing blew up in my face {luckily my hair was already singed so it couldn't do much damage} and the pop {or was it a bang?}  that accompanied the spark about blasted out my hearing.
i felt a little dazed and confused and didn't exactly know what had just occured.
when i told the story to my dear father he just looked at me in disbelief and said, "yeah baby girl, how did those 220 volts feel?" in a sarcastic voice. he then let me know how lucky i was that i had flipped the breaker instead of electrocuted myself.

so really- the house is great. i'm just not sure if it's too fond of me living there, after these few run-ins. but i'm gonna go scrub it today and hopefully make peace with it. wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Jayci you are so brave! And I hope that shock didn't hurt too bad! Love reading your blog. It always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh jayci!!! hahaha. i'm so sorry!!! i feel ya on the smart mouse thing though. farm houses are great EXCEPT for that. luckily ours are smart enough that i don't even know they exist anymore. . . (i try not to think too hard about it though)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha Oh Jayc..... None of that sounds fun! I am glad you are back in good ol Monteview! I wanna come see your little house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hate mice, too. A lot. Good luck! Love your stories!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Followers