September 24, 2014

Mud Lake Fair

The Mud Lake Fair is always one of my favorite times of the year, don't ask me why. I think it's the tradition and the sameness and the authentic Mexican food. 
Actually, probably most of it is the authentic Mexican food. Those tamales and rice and salsa just put me over the edge. 
This year the pig show was on my birthday just like it always is but the biggest and best difference was that for the past few years I have been a spectator instead of a participator. Which is kind of awesome, despite all the money that I am no longer making. That night was the parade but we didn't go because I had been craving Stockman's nachos ever since I had discovered them the week before and since it was my birthday I can kind of demand those kinds of things. But as we drove through Terreton in the few minutes before the parade started and saw all the cars lined up on the sides of the road and all the floats lined up in the school parking lot I felt really bad that we were missing it. Even though it's just a dinky little parade, I just think it is the greatest. 
But Stockman's nachos are also the greatest, so it was an okay tradeoff. And they also gave me a free dessert so that was okay too. Also, after dinner Kolton took me to Barnes and Noble and I got to browse to my heart's content and spend both of the gift cards I received last Christmas. That was kind of great.


We went to the rodeo on Friday night because Kolton's Grandma and Grandpa Hansen were the Grand Marshals this year and Kolton had some family coming up. 

I did NOT want to go to the rodeo on account of I was planning on going to the Saturday night rodeo and also because it was pouring rain. But go we did after Kolton made me trade my cowboy hat for a regular hat because it looked like I was trying too hard. Mostly I was just having a bad hair day and it was raining and I thought I looked good in the hat and the rodeo always brings out the tinsy bit of cowgirl in me (that is actually nonexistent once I get near a horse). But Kolton said it had to go, so it did. 
But we were still able to have fun despite the noncowgirl hattage and the pouring rain.  

On Saturday I attended the sale which is always my favorite part of the fair, and not just because it brings back memories of big payoffs. I love to watch this community support each other and it just really warms my heart. They sold a pig for Chris Caudle to pay for some medical expenses and it was just amazing. It was the Grand Champion pig and the first person that bought it told the auctioneer to sell it again. So they did. Again, and again, and again. At least 10 times. It had me all choked up watching the good people of this community give and give and give. Even though we may be in the sticks and town is an hour away, there is not one place else in the world that I would rather live. The people here are just Grade A kind of people.  

The Mickelsen's came out for the sale and afterward we went up to Brody's pond to fish. 




The kids were able to catch a few and it was fun to just hang out and get the kids excited for the rodeo. At the rodeo that night I tried to explain to those kids what the events were (as much as I know, anyway) and I loved watching them enjoy their first rodeo.  We had a nice time and it was infinitely better weather, so that is always good. And then that was the end my friend! Until next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers