June 9, 2014

A Surgery Story

So I wanted to tell a little about my surgery because its just really a funny story. 
We scheduled the surgery for the next week after the doctors appointment. I was a little nervous never having had any type of surgery before but honestly all I really felt was peaceful which was just so weird. 
So the morning of, kolton and I drive in to the hospital in rexburg. We got all signed in and then they took us back. 
They put me in a sweet hospital gown that had little vents where they could plug in little hoses of warm or cool air. 
Then the anesthesiologist came in to get some info and told me he was there to distract me while the nurses hooked up the I.V. 
That was part I was most nervous for because I hate any and all types of needles. But I tried to listen and respond while the nurses were doing all sorts of things I didn't want to think about. But pretty soon he left and all I could focus on were the needles being jammed in and out of my left hand. 
I told the nurses, "i think I'm going to pass out." They said to just relax.
So I lay my head way back and tried to go back to the shores of Labadee, Haiti. I pictured myself sitting on the sand with the waves rolling up around my toes. 
I was very relaxed. 
Then I opened my eyes to the nurses all gathered around me, fanning me, and kolton standing right up next to the bed. 
I thought I had just fallen asleep, but then I asked, "Did I pass out?"
They said yes. 
Later kolton told me of the traumatizing experience he had had while I was out. He said I laid back and closed my eyes and then all of the sudden I half sat up and my eyes were open but pointing in
separate directions and I started convulsing. He had freaked out and jumped out of his chair and
was next to the bed when I serenely opened my eyes. He was traumatized for a little bit. And I was so embarrassed that had all happened.
Pre-surgery just chillin in the room


Anyway....so three I.v. Tries later they finally got it in and I was left to just chill for a while before I went in. I was still dying over my embarrassing fainting episode when all the sudden there were a lot of people in my room. The nurse told me she was giving me something that would make me sleepy. 

The next thing I remember was waking up in the recovery room with an extremely sore belly. 
They took me back to my room where kolton was waiting. They tried to get me to eat something so they could give me some more meds but I either kept falling asleep or throwing up. 
Looking back on it now it just cracks me up. That anesthesia really did a number on me! I would wake up for ten minutes and talk or try to eat something and the just zonk. Once I fell asleep sitting  up with a spoon in my hand. I was just so out of it and I just couldn't control it at all. Shannon and Bear brought their kids by to visit and I talked to them for a bit and as soon as they walked out I was gone again. The nurse finally told me I had to stay awake or they wouldn't be able to give me the medicine I needed so I really did try. 

All during this weirdness the nurse would come in and chat with me and for some reason all the nurses just loved kolton. They told me how sweet he was about ten million times. I do not know why other than that he sat by my bed all day while I was out of it and was so patient. I love that man.

Anyway....finally it was time to be released. The car ride home reminded me a lot of that dumb movie Knight and Day with Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise when he drugs her. I fell asleep as soon as I got settled in the car. Woke up briefly when we stopped at Walgreens for my prescription. Woke up again and we were at sage junction. Woke up again when kolton stopped at the school to drop of some papers for me. The next time I came to we were pulling into our driveway. I got out of the car,
laid on the couch, and was out of it for two hours. Then kolton came home, we ate dinner, and I went to bed. I did not know it was physically possible for a person to sleep that much in one day. It was just crazy and so funny now. 



1 comment:

  1. I cant stop laughing, Zach thinks I'm crazy, but you're story is hilarious! I'm so glad it went well and that Kolton took such good care of you. We sure miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Followers