January 26, 2011

the lemon chicken penne incident

I used to think I was a pretty good cook. Okay, so let me rephrase that...I knew I was a pretty good cook. The only disclaimer is that I'm only a good cook with the four total recipes that I have mastered.
Other than those four recipes, I ain't got nothin.
You can imagine how this is a rather large problem since I am now cooking dinner almost every night and using the same four recipes can be a little tiresome. 
So I decided to branch out. 
"It can't be too hard" I told myself "it's just following a recipe"
turns out,
it is hard.
I will now recount to you the lemon chicken penne incident of last Sunday:

I was super pumped because in my search to branch out I had found a recipe online for a lemon chicken penne. 
The pictures looked delicious,
The instructions were simple enough,
"Why not?" I asked myself. 
So I ran down to the grocery store, gathered up the ingredients and was good to go. 
I had to marinate the chicken for 24 hours in lemon juice, among other things so I got right to work. 
Soon the marinade was ready and the chicken went into the fridge.
All night I thought about what a delicious meal we were going to be having the next day, I might have even dreamed about it. 
I was going to invite my cousin and his love interest over for dinner because I was so confident in my meal, but somehow that didn't end up working out.
So Sunday rolls around, we get out of church and I rush home to get started on my masterpiece. 
I followed the directions exactly and before too long it was finished!
So we set ourselves a pretty table and dished up the piece de resistance (I don't know how to spell in French, but you get what I mean)
After one bite and some thoughtful chewing, we looked at each other.
After the second bite we gulped down some water real fast after swallowing,
and after the third bite, the whole bowl of pasta went right into the garbage can.
Bummer.
It had potential, it really did. But holy cow, talk about lemon. Waaayyy too much lemony goodness for our liking.
Luckily I had stuck some biscuits in the oven, so our Sunday dinner (you know, that one you look forward to all week) consisted of biscuits. And they weren't even homemade.
ohhh, I am a failure.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers