June 15, 2013

So We Went to Mexico...Part 2

The day after our ruins tour, we decided to just take it easy and relax on the beach and around our hotel. Kolton has a much harder time just relaxing than I do so he went and learned how to windsurf and run a catamaran while I stayed on my chair sipping pina coladas and reading my book. Best part of the vacation. I could have done nothing else and been happy the rest of the week. 
I did finally get him to chill for a second and try to enjoy learning how to relax. 


So funny story. When we first got to the beach we noticed right off that there was a naked lady walking around, that's what we called her anyway. She was wearing her swimsuit bottom, but unfortunately no top.And she wasn't just laying out. She was walking around the beach, talking to her friends, swimming in the ocean, etc. like she had no cares in the world. It was weird. 
So Kolton, Bear and I were walking down the beach to find some chairs to camp out on. We walked a ways away from the naked lady and then Kolton directed me to find some chairs over in that area, far away from the naked lady while he and Bear went to find out about the windsurfing. They walked away and I started hunting. I wanted four chairs close together kind of close to the water. So I walked and walked and finally found them and set up camp. I immediately sprayed myself down with sunscreen and became absorbed in my book enjoying hearing the ocean in the background. (Again, best part of the vacation, especially if I also happened to be simultaneously sipping a pina colada.) 
So I'm just sitting there loving life when all the sudden Kolton marches up to me. "What are you DOING!" he screeches at me. I was a little confused, what does it look like I'm doing?! "The naked lady is RIGHT there!" I looked up and saw that indeed the naked lady was sitting on her beach chair less than 15 feet away from me, and I honestly had not even noticed. Kolton could not believe that I hadn't even seen her and I had to explain that I had more important things on the brain and don't exactly have naked ladies on the radar like he must. Oh we got a good laugh out of that one as soon as Kolton calmed down and realized that I was honestly oblivious. After we moved quite a ways down the beach obviously. 
Aside from that incident that day was quite nice. That night we went to eat at the fancy Mexican restaurant in the hotel. It was so funny because the restaurant was right next to the swim up bar in the pool and was called Capitan Morgan's Grill, but when we got there that night they tried to make it as fancy as possible. There were candles on the table and after we sat down they handed us a cold wet rag to wipe our hands off with. The food was pretty good, my cold had flared up so I honestly couldn't taste much of it, but it was a good night.

We also spent some of that day exploring around the hotel. We couldn't believe how thick the vegetation was everywhere we went.
Yes, I looked like a homeless person for much of the trip. 



Kolton thought this tree was neat and I think he's neat so...




The next day we had another half day tour at a place called Indiana Joe's. We went zip lining, cave exploring and snorkeling in a cenote. 
The zip lining was quite fun. I think the best part were the funny guys that were manning the zip lines. They had us go upside down, together as couples, and bounced us up and down as we zoomed down the line. I got such a kick out of them.  

They took us down through a cave and showed us all the stactites and stalagmites. It was really neat, especially seeing the tree roots that would break through the limestone in order to get to the water beneath. 


The reflection of the cave in an underground pool.

Sometimes columns will form and when the ground shifts, everything breaks apart.
Neat tree roots stretching for the water underneath the rock.

Modeling the lovely helmet
 We learned that stalactites and stalagmites take about 100 years to grow 1 centimeter. That really made us gain an appreciation for everything we saw in the cave.
That bundle of stuff is actually tree roots breaking through the rock to get to the water below.
 Kolton made a friend!

We went snorkeling in the cenote and it was SO neat. All of the pictures were taken on our underwater camera so I don't have them yet, but it was so cool to put on the goggles look under the surface and see this whole new world open up. The water was so clear and the bottom of the cenote/cave was so cool to look at. We loved that part.
After that adventure we headed back to the hotel to enjoy some more beach time and play some mini golf which I lost horribly at. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers