June 5, 2012

a bad thing happened

So remember the beautiful orchid I was so excited/proud of?
Well, a bad thing happened.

The orchid has lived on a little ledge/half wall that semi-separates our dining room from the living room. This is the optimum place for it because I have a clear view of it from almost any point at the house so I can stare at it in wonderment whenever I feel the urge (often).
So last Saturday I was being a good little wife and mopping the floor. I was going at it rather vigorously when I felt the back of my elbow connect with something. I flipped around trying to figure out what it was and then time slowed down.
I watched helplessly as the pot containing my most prized possession at this point in time fell off it's little ledge. I tried to reach over the ledge to swipe at it, but this was completely ineffective (not surprising if you have ever witnessed my slow reflexes).
So I just watched as it fell to the ground.
And then I went to pick up the pieces.
Two of the beautiful blooms had fallen off and there was bark all over the carpet. But the worst part was that part of the stem (vine?) had snapped. Not completely in half, but enough that caused my heart to sink to my stomach.
I'm not kidding you-I was about this close to bawling my eyes out.
But I pulled myself together and started cleaning up the mess. I scooped up as much bark as I could to put back in the pot and then vacummed up the rest. As for the two blooms, I stuck them in the pot along with the bark. I just couldn't throw them away!
I had no idea what to do for the stem. So I fixed it the best I could until Kolton came home. Then I used some of his electrical tape to tape the pieces together. I don't know if it'll work, but it's kind of the only option I had. 
I also had to move it to a better place that the tipsy ledge. So it now sits on our table next to the couches where it's not so easy to see from every point of the house. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
(P.S. don't mind the plant and pot directly behind the orchid. That is actually another orchid that my grandpa killed and I have been trying for two years to bring back to life. Obviously I have been unsuccessful. But that's a story for another day.)

And that my friends is why I am never mopping my floor again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers